Friday, May 25, 2007

Gardeing Update

So last year when we moved in here April 1, there was no vegetable garden. Using rocks to make raised beds, I managed to make (with help) two beds. You can see one of them here. Remember our quail attack?

Well, this year I have been busy and coercing anyone I can to help me. I have made several other beds. Here is my garden pictorial report.

This is the view of the whole garden. You can see at least a part of every bed

Here are 20 of the 31 tomato plants I have planted so far. I have about 10 plants left over that I have started myself (want some?) I will plant maybe a couple more and that's it. This bed is also full of dill and cilantro which self-seeded from last year. Which is a good thing as none of the cilantro I have planted has come up. In those bare spots I have broadcast planted basil so eventually it should be one mass of herbs.

I love zucchinis but they take up so much room in a bed so this year I made them little round beds like this. I've got 2 made and one more to go. We'll see how they like it.


And this bed is a real gift. I had access to as many free strawberry plants as I could take but nowhere to put them. Then my neighbour brought me over 3 loads of soil with her tractor. So this is my round strawberry bed. I've planted some black turtle beans in it, too and that tee pee is for them.

I'm loving my garden. Dean calls it my P&J (pride and joy). That's what he calls it on a good day, not on one where I have coerced him into hauling rocks after he's worked all day or on the one morning he could sleep in... I've also got some blueberry bushes yet to plant and some raspberry plants growing in buckets... Inspired by this man I am also going to plant some lemon seeds in tree stumps just to see what happens. If he can do it in Austria, surely it is not impossible in the Okanagan.

Today, I'll be planting out my peppers and I'll start hardening off my melons.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i can't believe you have 31 tomato plants. i would be happy if i had one.

Heather said...

Your garden looks wonderful. I love the little zucchini bed, what a great idea. All that hard work will pay off when you are eating all your delicious home-grown all summer.

Mary-Sue said...

some pretty funny typos in this post. you're sure it IS possible in the OK. okay, okay, i know what you mean... LOVE your beds. your potager is so much more earthy than mine. beautiful. i hope it rewards you with more produce and health and happiness and feelings of accomplishment and contribution than you can imagine...

Andrea said...

NOT IMpossible means it could be possible... doesn't it? And what other typo? I just reread it and can't find any....

Mary-Sue said...

i think i had sunstroke when i first read it. no typos, you're right. it was way funnier when my brain was half fried.
he he
sorry about that. LOVE your gardens!!