Thursday, April 24, 2008

On the Edge of Insanity, Perhaps

Maybe, just a bit... I have a household right now of 7 children - the size that my brother has all the time. I adore my nieces and nephews. They are such sweet children - so quick to love and trust. Spending time with them is not something I get to do often so I take advantage of any opportunity. And I must say, I wonder how my sister-in-law does it. I don't see how she could possibly get anything else done besides merely surviving! And she has a baby younger than the 3 year old. I loved being a big sister to my 11 siblings (well, okay, lets be honest... most of the time, I did... or at least in retrospect I did...) and I love being an aunt, too. On top of this full household, Rhiannon has had music festival this week. We had violin in Salmon Arm on Monday which meant an entire day from 8:30am to 8:00pm away from home with her in SA. She did very well - coming in first in every category she entered (although in one category - the duet - there was no one else entered but her and her friend, Mika nailed it nonetheless). She was very pleased with her performances and the adjudicator was exceptional in his feedback to the performers. Then Tuesday we were all day in Kelowna for piano. There is no way of telling when you sign up that they would be back to back. Last year they were 2 weeks apart. She was tired in Kelowna, the adjudication was mediocre and she didn't play her best but she still played well and was told that she has a good sound and a good command of the keyboard. So poor Madelaine had to start her holidays babysitting her 3 younger siblings. I paid her well, though so she is very pleased to have some money to spend.


Since then, we have been spending time together. Here is a sleeping angel who is all go-go-go as soon as he is awake. He loves our cats and dog and spends most of his day trying to pick them all up. He still hasn't managed to lift Jodi's 45 lbs up off the floor though...








The highlight so far has probably been the arrival of our spring chicks from Rochester Hatchery via my good friend who collected them for us while we were in Vancouver and loved them for us until the music festivals were over.

Despite the fact that it smells like a chicken coop in my downstairs bathroom, it is where everyone wants to be. Especially Mary, whose arms are just a little too short and has such a hard time reaching chicks. She just picks up one after another and pets them softly in her hands. So gentle.





Gabriel would climb right in there with them but he has such a hard time understanding a light touch... he's just not a light touch kinda guy. To him, loving is a full contact sport... so he only gets to help Auntie hold them. But he just can't help kissing them!


Here's my dinner crew last night as we 'played' restaurant... I think there is a little bit more eating of the grated cheese than there was sprinkling of it...

Oh, and the dog? You noticed that dog isn't Jodi? I did say the edge of insanity, didn't I? That is Aleous. He is visiting for a month while a family friend is in Croatia. He is a favourite of the kids and somehow, he just fits right in...

So... 2 music festivals back-to-back, 4 visiting nieces and nephews under the age of 11, a visiting beagle and 27 new chicks, a 16 year old daughter stuffing a semester course into 2 months with a full and heavy course load at regular school while she also plays ball twice a week and freaks out, a 14 year old son starting fulltime work (construction) which involves me getting up at 5:45am to wake him up and having to drive him to a pick up spot by 6:30 right on the heels of an action packed week in Vancouver... that's about the edge of insanity, don't you think? Oh yes, and I am blogging and it is 12:27am...

6 comments:

Heather said...

Eep! If that's the edge of insanity, I'm trying to imagine what full on insanity looks like. ;-) You are a brave woman.

amyleigh said...

true dat

Dragonflydownunder said...

You do attack insanity very calmly!

Caroline said...

crazy I tell ya! I did mean to ask you at the meeting how life was going with so many kids!

I didn't dare go on the computer when I got home from the meeting, or I might have been blogging at 12:27am too!

Karey said...

sounds like good times at your house :) you're going to need to get away after all this.

sheila said...

You had 11 siblings? OMG, I just cannot imagine, Andrea. Incredible. I would SO not be able to do that. I have enough trouble managing three and trying to nurture my own inner diva, not to mention having a husband and all. Gads.