Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Proactive Parenting

So, I loved those 2 'grounded' days so much that I decided to do it on a regular basis. Not called 'grounding' any more, of course, although, I suppose that is what it does - ground us all. Every first week end of the month is a 'family week end'. No phone, no computer, no sleep overs, no friends. Just us doing things together. I sent out an e-mail reminding everyone and then I made a loooooooong list of possible 'projects' and possible 'activities'. I woke them up at 10:30 and we started breakfast at 11. It was their choice of breakfast so it started with hashbrowns and sausages. Breakfast was a 2 hour affair. We made it together, ate it together and cleaned up together. And during, we discussed what we would like to do together. We decided to paint Kaetlyn's room and make a chicken tractor and to go out for dinner to a Chinese buffet (14 year old bottomless-pit-boy strongly advocated). We made a list of needed supplies and went out to Mills Paint and Home Hardware and picked up primer, paint, 2x2's (why are they called 2x2's when they are really 1.5x1.5?) and screws and came home to get to work. I had a blast. I would love to do that EVERY week end...

You can see here, Kaetlyn's pumpkin room disappearing and my chicken tractor beginning to take form...














So there are those who would say that forcing my kids to do this was bad form. Definitely not 'unschooling'. And I have to admit that I have mostly not found parenting to be a black and white philosophical thing. And in my efforts to meet the needs of my children, it has not always been obvious what to do. I judge whether or not I am headed in the right direction on whether or not they are happy. I dragged them into this week end kicking and screaming (well, not literally but at least they were pretty grouchy Saturday morning...). They had no choice about whether or not to participate. But it seems to me that I saw smiles on their faces; that there was some joking, camaraderie and a sense of accomplishment. Enough that I think I did the right thing and I am looking forward to the first week end in May...

No comments: