Friday, December 22, 2006

Deck the Tree


After learning the song "Deck the Halls", Rhiannon has been begging to 'deck' the tree. We have been sick and things have just been happening a little behind schedule around here (can I postpone Christmas?). But last night, on the longest, darkest night of the year, we finally got around to decorating our tree. And here it is. I am not one for fancy matching decorations. Most of ours are gifts from special people or homemade. See those felt hearts? Each one has been decorated by one of my children - the lowest one has Rhiannon's wee hand from her second Christmas. Our tree means something to us. Too bad flash photography won't ever capture the magic of the soft Christmas lights in the dark.

So, Dean is off for Fernie. He left this morning at 4:45am. He'll be back on Christmas Eve. Pray for safe passage for my husband over the Crow's Nest Pass. I miss him already.

We are having a homemade Christmas. Everything we give each other has to be homemade. We do this from time to time to help us all get out of the commercial drive of Christmas. I have to say, though, that since cutting off the cable, that has been a lot easier to do. I sure don't miss the barrage of Christmas advertisements! But I digress. Here is my confessional. I don't actually have a single gift finished. Okay, that is not quite right. I don't actually have any gift started.... I have been sick and trying to deny it but by 8pm, I've been totally exhausted and achey. So that means that I now have to make 2 gifts a day. Do you think I can make a quilt in half a day? How do you feel about gift certificates....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds like maybe you really should postpone christmas for your family.

Karey said...

I like those kinds of trees. Mine is simular to that too.

I love the idea of a homemade christmas.

Andrea said...

Yes, the IDEA of a homemade Christmas is wonderful - especially if you tend to be organized like my esteemed sister, Katie. Not so wondeful 2 days before Christmas and no presents made...

And unfortunatley like the Grinch discovered, you can't really postpone Christmas...I'm getting there...

Anonymous said...

i'm not so organized. i just get things on sale when they are clearing stuff out to get ready for christmas. if i made things no one would get anything

Anonymous said...

hi mom ! i like your blog .... but when did you right it ? why haveint you ever left a comment on my blogs ? why why please tell me if you HAVE left a comment please tell me... but just leting you knoe that this is Rhiannon carolgean gordon-smith . so just letting you know.....