Saturday, February 10, 2007

Single Parenting and the Art of Recording

My dear husband, the love of my life, the talented Dean Gordon-Smith has been gone since January 29. He's not that far away. In fact he is only up at Silver Star. However, I have seen him only once for less than 12 hours since then. He has been deeply immersed in recording his 3rd CD with Redfish. And I miss him.

This is an awesome opportunity for him. Through serendipity a well known and respected producer originally from Philadelphia but living in Nashville heard a recording of Redfish. And was interested in working with them. He brought with him an engineer from Boston who has worked exclusively with Aerosmith for the last several years. Eddie gathered investors, brought the two men up here and rented a house up on Silver Star where they have been sequestered ever since. I don't know if I have ever seen my husband so excited. Anytime I talk to him he has so much to say. He is having the musical experience of his life unlike any he has ever had before and he is no stranger to the recording studio long before Redfish ever existed. This producer has got several bands signed with record labels and he is going to be going to bat for Redfish with this recording.

I am glad for my husband and I pray that he does get the recognition that he deserves. He is as talented as any of the great rock guitarists and I know that his musician's soul yearns for people to hear his music. This could be the break he has worked toward his whole life (well, since he was old enough to understand). Although that might mean I am going to have to get very used to doing the single parent thing....

But being a single parent is wearing on me just a little. Boy he does a lot of housework... I hate to admit that I don't really notice until he isn't here and the laundry piles up and I wake up in the morning and the kitchen is still messy...(it makes me realize I complain WAY too much!). You know what I miss the most? (Besides him, of course) It is the uninterrupted times. My journal is a series of short broken up entries.... Sometimes I feel like I don't get enough time to finish my thoughts... I have had some, it is true, but I would like MORE! Speaking of which, Rhiannon has just gone outside to play, Drew is at a friend's house and Kaetlyn is having a nap. Sure is quiet around here... I just might be having some time to finish some thoughts!

2 comments:

Dragonflydownunder said...

You need a secret rondevous for Valentine's Day!!

Mary-Sue said...

wow! that's so exciting, yet the unknown future would scare me. not you, i bet! good for Dean. i hope it works out just the way he wants it to...
and so good that you can appreciate him more with his absence!