Saturday, February 24, 2007

Thinking of You

Even though I spent most of my younger childhood with these characters... who tormented me, had farting contests and broke my toys (and my nose)... they were great brothers, nonetheless. Yet, I prayed for sisters. Alot.


Eventually when I was 7 and 9 years old, I got these. I love them! They are great sisters. Here we are in 1977. Love that polyester, eh?! In fact, in the end, I have more sisters than brothers but this isn't how it felt to me growing up.


I have been thinking of one sister in particular. It was her birthday February 11 but I couldn't call her because I don't have the number where she is right now. She is 28. My third sister.

I remember when she was born. I was 13 and a half and in grade 8. I was embarrassed to tell my friends at school that my parents had named her Martha but that name has grown on me. Even when she was very small, there was a connection between us. Oddly when she was 4 and I was 18, we understood each other. I taught her how to skip. I comforted her in the night when she had nightmares. We had Sunday naps together.


By the time she was this big (6) I had already left home. I used to have my youngest siblings over on a regular basis to stay over night and visit me. We had some great times. Here is Martha with sister number 4 (Sarah) and my step-daughter, Sarah Kleyh.

Anyways, Martha, sister of my heart, my beauty-girl. I'm thinking of you. I hope you had a good birthday. Looking forward to when I can hug you in person.

1 comment:

Mary-Sue said...

wow! that is so beautiful. my eyes got teary and i haven't even met your sister! what a beautiful declaration of your love and caring.