Sunday, June 03, 2007

Sprouts and Blooms

Tired of hearing about my garden?..... tough! hehe! Here are this morning's pictures. Turns out, I think I love purple flowers... I transplanted this from a generous gardening friend and it just started to bloom yesterday... I'd really love to add some purple bearded irises to my garden.....













Did I mention my distaste for peonies?.... Did I mention that I counted 12 peony plants in my gardens?.... Well, here is the next kind getting ready to open. I have to admit, it is rather pretty and it is doing remarkably well with absolutely no fiddly farty from me. (I refuse on principle) Maybe I'm starting to like them or maybe this is a good example of cognitive dissonance....




Here is a beauty I am absolutely not ambivalent about. This morning my first poppy burst open. I think it is breathtakingly beautiful... Those colours, the fragility of the petals...










So, when I am done with all the seeds I plant in the winter/early spring indoors and some have sprouted and grown and some have not, I take all the dirt and dump it back into my big bag of dirt for reuse next year. Then my generous gardening friend gave me this lily (canus lily?) and so I dipped into my big bag of starting soil and planted it in this pot last week.

And that was that until I noticed some little friends in the pot with it. I think this sprout is a cucumber but it could be a canteloupe... but it looks like a Japanese cucumber to me... There is also a pepper sprout but I couldn't get the camera to focus on it - its too little.

4 comments:

Laura said...

oh yeah, you're coming around to the peony side of things! how can you not love a peony? they're soo beautiful! we didn't fiddle with ours and you're not fiddling with yours and they're fine! i think you need a peony paradigm shift. :)

Karey said...

i love peony. i think they are beautiful. I love your yard. i can't believe how much you have done since we were there. Busy bee :)

Anonymous said...

we have poppies too. Sort of random in our unfinished yard. Tracy planted them when she lived here. They are very beautiful, and I like how they just bloom overnight.

Andrea said...

Well, I don't know about the peony side of things... that is a little too far. I did actually try to kill all those plants earlier this spring... but it was not so effective. In the end like they say on the bugs bunny hour "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.... I still think it is a good example of cognitive dissonance...