Sunday, August 28, 2005

Hedge Trimming

My hedge is finally trimmed. I had got a start on trimming my hedge this spring - just before our garage was robbed and the hedge trimmer stolen... Since then, in fits and bursts I had hacked at it by hand. Yesterday the missionaries showed up with an electric trimmer and spent the afternoon trimming it. It was a lot of work and the trimmings make an imposing heap over by the firewood for the winter - kindling. They came for dinner after that. I fed them spaghetti. Very nice of them to do.

I am tired and tired of being tired. How is it that young children are relentless. Rhiannon wakes up between 7am and 8 - regardless of what time she falls asleep. That whispered "Muuuuuum" in my ear jolts me awake. "Put me on a movie". She can put them on herself but no, not in the morning. I must get up and do it for her. If I resist, she only begs and begs and argues so there is no point in resisting... Then I can't get back to sleep. And Dean was horrible to sleep with last night. After getting in late from a gig in Kelowna, he snored loudly enough to wake the dead and was almost impossible to get to turn on his side. Truly the loudest snores I have EVER heard! Then once he was on his side (after considerable effort on my behalf) he is evidently in the midst of some violent and angry dream and yells out at intervals "Shut up! Shut the f--- up! That's not very nice!" and other angry things. All this between 3 and 4 in the morning. So what did I have maybe 3 hours of uninterrupted sleep at a time. And I love sleep. My eyeballs feel like they were taken out, dried and replaced and are super light sensitive. Ahh sleep....

Today is the day of the family meeting. It is evident that some organization needs to be imposed on our family. I have been feeling lately like it is somehow my family and all the rest are just guests that can take it or leave it as they choose. I am too stretched. We are going to divide up responsibilities and make some charts and schedule a weekly family meeting to monitor progress. Ambitious. But it has got to work. I think I have been too enabling.

I am back to reading my book about contemporary Canadian history "Here be Dragons" by Peter Newman. Still enjoying it. It makes me think and it is good to have such an overview of our country and the changes that have occurred in my lifetime.

No comments: