Sunday, August 07, 2005

The Ups and Downs of Summer Holidays

My friend is gone. We had such a good time and she is such a good friend that I miss her so much when she leaves. It is one of those friendships that you feel so blessed to have - at least, I do. She is a bossy older sister, too. Yet, we don't get on each other's nerves (as other bossy people do). It is just so easy to be together. Her daughter, too is just so easy. She just fits right in. We cook together and plan our outings and it just really seems to work - everytime. It is times like this that I think how wonderful it would be to live with another woman. Things just get done so quickly. I wish we lived closer together.

We had so much fun. We went to the water slides on Thursday. We went to a matinee at the cheap theatre on Friday and then out to Ellison (Okanagan Lake) which is a spectacularly beautiful beach with rocks to jump off of and stayed until the sun went down. Saturday we spend the afternoon at Juniper Bay (Kalamalka Lake). I feel like it is really summer now. I have been to all the beaches around here and I am loosing track of how many times I have been swimming. We usually went in the late afternoon when the intense heat of the day was subsiding. The kids would just run around playing together in that loose kind of summery way before then. I feel like I was just on vacation, too - a totally satisfying holiday.

And we talked and talked and talked and talked. She is truly the smartest woman I know and we always have such interesting discussions. We have been through so much together and supported each other through so many things that there is great depth to our friendship. It is really a miracle in my life. I have always been able to share my deepest thoughts, fears and joys and although we don't always agree or see things the same way, that has always been ok. I hope she always knows how lucky I know I am to have her for my friend. To me it feels like our souls are connected in some irrevocable way and I cannot imagine my life without her in it. Everyone should have a friend like that.

I dropped off Ronni and Meg early this morning at the bus depot. Then I was out at Komasket Music Festival to work in the Kid Zone. The Inner World School volunteered. We were there from 10am - 1pm. It was fun. We had the kids make masks from paper plates that showed emotions. They seemed to really enjoy it. The other two teachers were there, too. Rhiannon and Drew enjoyed being out there. Drew found a friend and they ran around together. We didn't get a chance to stay and take in the main stage (just the children's stage was near by and Rhi went over for a bit to enjoy some singing). I had to leave as soon as we were done and go pick up Kaetlyn in Kamloops where she was visiting my sister-in-law and her best friend/step-cousin. We just got home.

One more week until the FR. It will be a busy, intense week. I have my last camp - starts tomorrow morning - I've got to get to bed early tonight. So where is the sister's marvelous adventure? We only have one more week to complete it. Beth, do you still have it?

Sleepy, happy chick out.

No comments: