Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Gardening

One of the results of the hedge trimming is that it is now clear for me to get to my garden and also clear that there wasn't actually a wasp nest in the hedge - I was just gratuitously stung, I guess. So it was safe for me to approach that part of the yard. My garden was almost unrecognizable from the tidy, productive patch it was when Laura visited. That horrible weed sometimes called bind weed and sometimes called morning glory had taken over the garden as surely has the thorny hedge took over Sleeping Beauty's castle.

I pulled and pulled and pulled weeds and lettuces and brocollis that had gone to seed. I only got about 1/5 of the first raised bed done. Tomorrow morning I will work on more. There is space now to plant for a fall harvest - lettuce, spinach, cilantro and chard, which all like cooler weather. I harvested mint and taragon and have it drying on my picnic table. I'll give the taragon to Bozenka as I am really good at growing it but not so great at using it. I am still using taragon I grew 3 years ago. It is so nice and yummy and licoricey but I don't know what to use it on other than in fall soups and roasting lamb.

I am off now to the Inner World School to help Bozenka with the afternoon class.

No comments: