Sunday, January 14, 2007

Going Crackers

Inspired by two close friends who are just learning how to go without wheat, I decided to make my own crackers sans wheat. I looked up recipes on the internet and started experimenting. The first one I tried was this one: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1216/is_n5_v185/ai_9051614 A Sunset recipe. I used 1 1/2 cups of whole grain spelt flour and 1/2 cup of hemp hearts for the flour and oat bran. They were indeed paper thin. The kids liked them a lot. Kind of more like a chip than a cracker as they are quite fragile.

The second one I tried was this one: http://www.recipetips.com/recipe-cards/t--1973/homemade-crackers.asp This recipe was really fun to adjust and experiment with. I liked it because you just make one pan full at a time. You roll the dough right out on the pan. You can experiment with seasonings and then change it for the next batch. Our family's current favourites are this: flour mixture 1/2 cup whole grain spelt, 1/2 cup rolled oats, 1/2 cup hemp hearts with seasoning mixture of simply 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder. Their very favourite was: flour mixture 1/2 cup whole grain spelt, 1/2 cup cornmeal and 1/2 cup hemp hearts with seasonings 1 teaspoon of chili powder, 1 teaspoon of cumin and 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder.... And my ideas are still rocking! I mean I could use basil and oregano... or there is my dried taragon.... curry.... I made this container full between all my taste testers... And then I made my famous artichoke dip and we dug in!

And why such gourmet snacking, you ask? Well that leads me to my picture of the day.... Not taken by me but by Rhiannon. Happy birthday, babe!

1 comment:

Mary-Sue said...

mmm. thanks for these! can't wait to try them!
xo