Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Book Report

Well, since Christmas I have read several novels. It is my time of the year to do such reading. I've forced myself to read some I really didn't care for but I have also read some really good ones! I read "The Mermaid Chair" by Sue Monk Kidd and I really, really loved it. I was so inspired by the book. It filled my heart with good feelings for my husband and our marriage. I really appreciate it when a book uplifts me. That is the same author of "The Secret Life of Bees" that I read on the bus going home from Nanaimo after the sisters bike hike (Laura! Where is your account?!)

Last night I finished reading Peace Like a River that Laura recommended earlier. It took that long for me to get it from the library. There was a looong line up for it. I really enjoyed it, too. I enjoyed the faith of the book and the power of the father. I also really enjoyed the writing style of the author. You know, it reminded me of Laura's style of writing. Several times I could imagine that she would describe it that way. I'm not sure exactly what it was... the sentence structure and the often tongue-in-cheek way of looking at things, especially himself. Anyway, if you haven't read it, I recommend it.

It snowed all day yesterday but not much of it stuck. In fact by 5pm, although it had snowed for hours, you could still see the grass. Rhiannon was very discouraged as she really wanted to take out her sled and crazy carpet again (for the second time only). When we left for piano lessons she commanded the heavens to snow real snow! When we came out of piano lessons an hour later, a good 2 inches were covering everything. She quickly ate dinner and went out sledding with Daddy and Drew. I let her stay up late to do so as it is supposed to be +6 today so that snow won't be here long. Weird weather we're having this winter. She fell asleep within minutes of getting home. Couldn't even stay awake for the cinnamon buns I had in the oven.

It was Dean's birthday on Jan 14. He's 44. A good number, I think. We had his birthday dinner on Sunday when he got home from Golden where he had been playing for the week end. He had ordered lasagne so that's what I made along with brocolli and cauliflower with cheese and cesaer salad and ice cream cake for dessert. He loved it. That's what matters, I guess.

No comments: