Friday, January 06, 2006

Slow Cooker Recipes

Here are the promised slow cooker recipes - somewhat later than originally promised...

This one is my family's favourite of all time (and I created it myself!)

Sausage & Black Bean Soup
1 package of turkey sausage or smokies
1 large box of fat free, reduced sodium chicken broth
1 can of black beans, rinsed and drained
1 small zucchini, shredded
1 lg can of diced canned tomatoes
1 green pepper chopped up
1 onion, chopped
1 T of oregano
1 T of chili powder

If you are using raw sausage, cook and drain, breaking into small pieces (I usually use the smokie type that don't require cooking) Place in slow cooker.

Stir in all other ingredients. Cook on low heat for 4 - 5 hours or on high setting for 2 - 3 hours.

All following recipes are from "Better Homes and Gardens Biggest Book of Slow Cooker Recipes" (fantastic cook book! I love it!)

Slow Cooker Minestrone (pg 144)
1 can of black beans
1 cup of shredded cabbage
1/2 c shredded carrot
1/2 c of chopped celery
1/2 c of onion
1 can of diced tomatoes
1 14 oz can of fat free low sodium beef broth (I've used boullion instead)
3 c of water
1/4 t each of salt and pepper (I hate pepper, never add it)
8 oz fresh green beans cut into 2 inch pieces (I don't like fresh beans so I always use 1 small can)
1/2 c tiny shell macaroni
2 T snipped fresh parsley
1/2 c finely grated parmesan cheese

1. In 3.5 - 6 litre slow cooker add all ingredients except parmesan cheese, macaroni, parsley and green beans (if using fresh - if using canned add now). Stir and cover. Cook on low heat setting for 8 - 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 - 5 hours.

2. If using low heatr setting, turn to high heat setting. Stir in green beans and macaroni. Cover, cook for 30 minutes more. Stir in parsley. Ladle into soup bowls. Sprinkle each serving with Parmesan cheese.

Cheesy Potatoe Soup (pg 145)

This one is super easy and super yummy! I've also made it faster just cooking it on the stove.

6 medium pototoes, peeled (I never do that) and chopped
2 1/2 c water
1/2 c chopped onion
2 t instant chicken boullion granules (I've also used broth instead of boullion and water)
1/4 t pepper
1 1/2 c shredded cheddar cheese
1 12oz can evaporated milk (1.5 cups)

1. In a 3.5 - 4 litre slow cooker combine potatoes, water, onion, boullion granules and pepper. Cover; cook on low heat setting for 8 - 9 hours or on high heat setting for 4 - 4.5 hours.

2. Stir cheese and milk into mixture in cooker. Cover; cook onlow heat setting for 1 hour more or on high heat setting for 30 minutes more. Mash potatoes slightly, if desired (I usually mash alot - makes it thick and creamy).

Beef & Garden Vegetable Soup (pg 34)
2 to 2.5 pounds (1kg) meaty beef shank (I use whatever is the cheapest kind of steak that has a bone in it)
2 medium carrots, shredded
2 stalks of celery, sliced
1 large potatoe, cubed
1 c coarsely chopped cabbage
1 small onion chopped
3 c water
2 c tomato juice
2 T instant beef boullion granules
1 T worcestershire sauce
1 T chili powder
2 bay leaves (I never use these)

1. Cut meat into 1 inch cubes, reserving bones and trimming off fat

2. In a 3.5 - 6 litre slow cooker, place all ingredients, including bones. Cover; cook on low heat setting for 8 - 10 hours or on high heat setting for 4 - 5 hours.

3. Remove and discard bones and bay leaves. Skim off fat.

Those are my favourite recipes, anyway. I also do a thing where I put mushroom soup, cooked chicken bits and rice and the appropriate amount of water in a slow cooker and cook but I haven't got the amounts just right and it ends up too dry - not saucy enough. Haven't tried it in awhile.

Keep on cooking!

No comments: