Thursday, May 18, 2006

Dog Familial Bonds


Well, dogs don't have familial bonds, right? Hmmm after today I am not so sure. Jodi (shown at left), Rhiannon and I went for a walk today. We walked along the railroad tracks and then down a road and around. Just as were coming to the spot where we were going to leave the tracks, we spotted a dog. I thought, "Gee, that really looks like one of Jodi's pups..." and I knew that I had seen one of the people who took her pups getting off the Coldstream bus in this vicinity. Hmmm Could it be? For those of you who don't know, Jodi had pups 2.5 years ago. The father was a mutt, just like Jodi is. But the ears on that dog, boy, they sure looked like Jodi's little ears. Hmmm.

And then Jodi and the dog saw each other. They froze. Their tails stuck straight out behind them. They stared at each other (or were they smelling each other?) Then they ran at each other like long lost loves and circled each other and immediately started playing. Rather unusual behaviour for Jodi who is not especially social to other dogs and usually has to do a great deal of sniffing butts and growling to establish a rapport. Not with this dog.

I went to the door of the house and rang the bell. The lady came to the door and I told her I was wondering if this was one of our dog's pups - that we used to live on Mission Hill, etc. She was so glad to see me again. Indeed it was Jodi's pup - once called Sam and beloved of Kaetlyn and now called Tarkus. And a year ago she had driven around Mission Hill trying to find me to tell me that this is the best dog she has ever had! It was so good to see this once-pup and see how happy and well adjusted he was and how happy the people were to have him. And Jodi loved to see him again.

So I thought animals are not supposed to have memories like that - especially to remember another dog like that? Those two knew each other and were so happy to see each other again! What gives?

No comments: