Sunday, May 21, 2006

I Am Amazed!

We spent the day today working on our yard as a family. That is the most time we have spent outside like that. And I've got to say, I live in a park! My yard is just so naturally beautiful - huge maple, willow and elm trees, lilac bushes, grass, swings. Its really beautiful. I love it. I love being outside.

Today we worked on creating a vegetable garden. Dean and I were trying to figure out how we could best accomplish this. You can't just dig up the dirt here because it is all clay. I've tried that before and all the root vegetables just grew above the ground... and not so well, either. It takes a roto-tiller and a lot of mulch and work to turn this dirt into soil. We don't have that kind of time or the inclination. And we didn't want to use gardening ties treated with arsenic or pesticides, either. So Dean came up with the idea that a friend of mine had suggested to me as well. We gathered huge rocks from around the yard and made a raised bed from them. Then we went to our neighbours (who is also our landlord) and brought loads of top soil to fill it up. It is such a pretty raised bed. Then Rhiannon and I transplanted some of those plants that we planted in February. Some marigolds, cauliflower and zucchini. And we planted some lettuce, spinach, beets and carrots. And I am amazed at what we did. I keep looking over to where we put the garden and instead of scrubby ground with weeds and clumps of crab grass, I see my lovely raised bed with my vegetables. Wow. We created something. I am sure I sound silly but I am truly amazed. I just couldn't stop looking at my creation...

I think I discovered stinging nettle today.... didn't know what it was before....

No comments: