Friday, June 02, 2006

Trying Too Hard

Dean has left for Revelstoke where they are playing this week end. But before he left, he had some windows to do this morning so I went with him to get them all done quickly and we are really quick together. We did one house in 20 minutes... But on the second house, the home of two local professionals, they had this film often found on high-end homes. Slightly mirrored/tinted stuff that coats the outside of the window. It is supposed to decrease the heat from the sun. They had it EVERYWHERE. C'mon people, the sun is never going to reach the windows underneath your huge deck!...

Anways, the film on the windows always makes it harder to get the windows streak free. I was working very hard at getting them streak free. Usually, the harder you press with the squeegee, the less streaks (or none) you have. (there's another window washing tip - many people try a squeegee and then give up and hire a window washer...) I was pressing as hard as I could - even using two hands but to no avail. My triceps are still burning from the effort... I was having more and more streaks. Then for some reason, I had the idea to try the opposite. I just lightly pressed on the squeegee and drew it across the window. Magic. No streaks. Perfect windows. So as I washed window after window on this beautiful home, I considered how life is like that... sometimes the harder we try, the harder we make it for ourselves. Sometimes when we let go, things fall into place. Like people trying to have a baby who finally give up and get pregnant. Or with parenting when you try so hard and it is a struggle and then you relax and 'just be' with your kids and it all works...

So there is my tip for the day - don't try too hard!

No comments: