Sunday, July 17, 2005

Hmmmmm

Here it is Sunday night and I think I shoud write something but anything I think of just sounds dull. Except maybe the bugs. We are having a very buggy summer - I think due to the unusual amount of rain we have had. Right now there are earwigs everywhere. Drew went out to pick up his bike and it was covered in earwigs. When I picked up the cat's dish outside to fill it up for his dinner, it was full of earwigs. I went to pick some broccoli out of my garden for dinner and the head had so many earwigs in it, that it looked like it was brown and rotting. Gross. I hate earwigs. There are only 2 bugs I really hate - earwigs and beetles.

I wrote a letter to the editor of the newspaper a couple of weeks ago and it was published in today's paper. You can go check it out at http://www.vernonmorningstar.com/ - click on the tab that says "letters" and you will find it there.

Disturbingly I am pretty sure I saw a prostitute on the lower part of our hill as I was driving home this evening. 2 years ago, you would be hard pressed to find a prostitute on the streets here - I had heard you could find them in bars but not walking the streets. But since they have been trying to 'clean up' Vancouver in preparation for the Olympics, they have been arriving and I think since the severe cut backs to the welfare system. This winter was the first time I saw them walking the streets and they seem to be steadily increasing. Sad.

My next camp for kids starts next week. This time I will have the young kids in the morning and the older kids in the afternoon. The older group is all boys - it is going to be interesting! The topic this week is art and drama. One of the things we are going to do is reverse tie dying (you dip a coloured shirt in bleach in stead of a white shirt in colour). I am looking forward to it but a bit nervous, too. Nervous about being cool enough and fun enough for a group of boys...

I am reading a rather strange book. The book isn't really strange, it is just strange that I am reading it... It is called "There Be Dragons" by Peter Newman. He was a writer for McLeans magazine for many years and was an insider of the political scene from Diefenbaker to Cretien. This book is his memoir. His writing style is really easy to read and I get quite drawn in. I have become a bit facinated with Canadian history since Drew and I have been studying it together for the last 2 years. It is interesting to really think about the big changes that have happened in my lifetime.

Well, I am yawning. It is time I hit the hay. I will try not to be quite so boring next time.

Chick out.

No comments: